From Habari Project
(Redirected from User talk:Skippy/Draft Manual)
A few ad-hoc guidelines for what I'd like to see in a manual. skippy 02:39, 28 May 2008 (UTC)
- describe the right way to do things. If more than one way exists to do something, pick the most appropriate way and document that. Don't overwhelm new users with choice.
- avoid ending sentences with prepositions.
- Be friendly, but not overly familiar.
- avoid comparing features or functions to other blog publishing platforms. Habari should be able to describe itself without comparison.
From a discussion in IRC with skippy:
- The manual should not assume specific familiarity with blogging. We might be the first blog tool someone decides to try.
- Installation for each database type should be a separate section.
--mikelietz 19:47, 5 June 2008 (UTC)
- Need a consistent verb for going to stuff on the web. 'Navigate to'? 'Go to'? I'm going to use 'Go to' for now.
- What merits capital letters? "Dashboard" is capitalized, but "Main Menu" isn't?
- I'm thinking the paragraphs starting with "You also have two additional buttons between the Tag box and the Save/Publish buttons, these contain optional extras you may wish to use. Beneath the Tags input box are two buttons, labeled Settings and Tags. Clicking on either of these opens a pagesplitter (so called because it splits the page)." in Your First Post should get moved to later in the manual.
--mikelietz 20:26, 5 June 2008 (UTC)
- Thinking about Importing Content - should it show up or at least be linked in Installation? That said, should it appear at all other than a link to the more detailed page? I'm thinking that the readers with content to import would be outnumbered by the readers without... but maybe not. Moreover, if we are to avoid mentioning other blogging software/CMSes there isn't much to write other than what I'm about to type there now.--mikelietz 12:06, 6 June 2008 (UTC)