From Habari Project
Some thoughts and questions about where we're going with taxonomy, some of which are not my thoughts, but recordings of thoughts that others have had.
A vocabulary has a features bitmask but these seem to conflate features of a vocabulary with features of the relationship between objects and terms in a particular vocabulary.
- free: when true, new terms can be added to the vocabulary; when false, terms are set, as an enumeration.
- hierarchical: is this a flat vocabulary (as tags should be by default) or hierarchical (such as someone might want from categories)?
Object/term relationship features:
- multiple: an object of this type can be associated with more than one term from this vocabulary.
- required: an object of this type must have an associated term in this vocabulary.
We need to be able to assert possible relationships between terms in a vocabulary and objects, posts being the most obvious example. How should we store object/term relationships? I think it makes sense to store another bitmask, so perhaps they should be stored as a system vocabulary? How should these relationships be set and retrieved? Insert possible API here.
- I meant, how do we store object/term relationship features --michaeltwofish 13:28, 19 May 2009 (UTC)
How does the association between a term and an object get stored?
- In the cunningly named object_terms --michaeltwofish 13:28, 19 May 2009 (UTC)
--michaeltwofish 04:50, 19 May 2009 (UTC)